Wednesday, July 15

Dreaming a life - Originally posted to BMGS 1.0 Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A quick update at the start of a busy day this morning, July 15, 2009:

  • A wonderful day at the pool yesterday, swimming 1.5 miles (108 laps, 100 minutes) without so much as a five-second rest along the way.
  • Coming out of the pool with a brain full of endorphins, singing "That's No Way to Say Goodbye" in the shower without embarrassment and another 50-something comes up to me and asks if I caught Leonard when he played here a few weeks back, no, but leading to a fun conversation about Cohen, whom I saw for the first time in '66 or '67 at the Melody Tent, playing the piano for Judy.
  • A bit of a difficult evening with my pal which ended up in our feeling even more connected, which is all one can hope for.
  • A nice and unexpected email and telephone conversation with an old friend, opening the door to some nice, if optimistic, visions of ways in which much of the hard work I have been doing these past few years might lead to pleasant and appropriate rewards.

Dreaming a life

Originally posted to BMGS 1.0 Wednesday, November 14, 2007

35 pounds today. Another multiple of 5, and some real progress the last few days after slogging for a while.

When I was a distance runner in high school, we had the toughest, hilliest course in New England. I don't know if I succeeded or not, sometimes I did, but I tried to be a mudder, the type of guy who embraced the conditions whatever they were. The last couple weeks of the season we had some snow, a sub-freezing race or two, some mud. I had imagined myself a mudder, and I had my best races then.

So I slog on. I won't say a lot more today, but I'll listen to this music, "Dreaming a Life" by Native American flutist Carlos Nakai. Listen. In a small way it is what I am trying to do here, a struggle of positive self-invention.

Wednesday's Soundtrack

Some nice Zim footage from "The Last Waltz." I had so many thoughtful emails after yesterday's post. Thank you.



Thursday's Soundtrack

When I look into your eyes

I can see a love restrained
But darlin' when I hold you
Don't you know I feel the same
'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain
We've been through this such a long long time
Just tryin' to kill the pain
But lovers always come and lovers always go
An no one's really sure who's lettin' go today

Walking away


Guns 'n' Roses - November Rain

Friday's Soundtrack

Some of my favorite bubble gum music.... covered with an edge in the first instance.



Joan Jett and the Blackhearts covering Tommy James' & the Shondells "Crimson and Clover"



"Friday" by The Cure


"Hang on Sloopy" by The McCoys -- there was a time in 60s pop when love always trumped class warfare, and I'm embarrassed to say I believed it, whether it was "Sloopy," "Patches," or "Rag Doll"



"Silence is Golden" by The Tremeloes, who must have thought they were showing up to audition for roles in "The Full Monty"

0 comments: