Friday, May 15

3516 calories - 9/2/07

Wow. I am pleased. 8 1/2 pounds in two days. If I can just continue at this rate I will weigh 14 pounds by the 1st of November!

Of course I do realize that this is a start-of-the-diet aberration. But it is a nice way to begin.

According to the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calorie Calculator at a website called my-calorie-counter.com, my daily caloric needs based on my starting August 31 height, weight, age, gender and activity level are 3516 calories. If I understand the site correctly, that means that consuming 3,516 calories a day would maintain my current weight. That, of course, is exactly what I don't want to do.

I am going to try to keep my caloric intake at half that level, or about 1750 calories a day, while gradually increasing my exercise regimen. I've been under 1600 each of the last 2 days and I haven't been hungry.

Since 3500 calories roughly equal one pound of body weight, consuming 1750 calories a day for a body that is in equilibrium at 3500 calories should allow me to lose 3 or 4 pounds a week. That figure of 3516 calories does down, of course, as I get smaller.

I'll be happy with 2 pounds a week, since I believe my metabolism is a little on the slow side generally. Naturally, I would expect my rate of weight loss to slow down as I get smaller, since my daily caloric needs will be reduced.

So we will see how it goes, from here on out.

One thing that seems important is that I keep committing myself, in this blog, to the discipline required to continue losing weight. And to continuing to do the math and pay attention to it.

I have noticed sometimes in the past that I will start off a diet like a house afire and lose a bunch of weight in the first few days, then convince myself that I am doing so well I can ease up. That gets me nowhere, and before I know it my weight loss is reversed.

So far so good. I've been between 1500 and 1600 calories each of the last two days, and I've lost weight.

This morning I am meeting my sister for breakfast at a coffee place where the food choices are both delicious and high-calorie. So I looked up the calorie count for the kind of scones they have, about 500 calories. I can handle that, as long as I keep things under control the rest of the day. So I may do that, or I may pick up a fruit salad and bring it with me.

But at least I have a couple of manageable options and whatever I do, I am not going to feel like I am blowing the day, cheating, etc. Sometimes I think that is half the battle, keeping a positive frame of mind.

ps--I stayed away from the scones and pastries at breakfast. Instead I stopped at Whole Foods across the street from where we met and picked up a container of fresh strawberries and blueberries. Want to know the funny thing about all of this? It's so easy if I just make it a priority!

0 comments: