Thursday, July 3

The Grass is Greener

Here I come, crawling back, tail between my legs.

Actually, things in general are going exceptionally well. As of Monday June 30 I completed my move into my spacious new digs, and I could not be more pleased with this turn of events. I had intended for some time to come back to BMGS with new resolve when things got to this point, and here I am.

I now have a splendid kitchen that allows me to buy and prepare the food I want, and I live in a house and in a neighborhood that are both well-suited to activity, exercise, and the kind of regular walking that comes with being within a few minutes' walk of most of the places that are in my daily and other routines: pharmacy, stores, coffee shops, restaurants, post office, library, etc.

Simple pleasures.

Yes, over the past 3 months of finishing two books (one finished, one almost finished) and hanging on by my fingertips until I could make this move, I did gain back a little over half of what I had lost, but I am back to make it a priority to get things in hand again. Three things are obvious to me as I write this entry:

1. The value of my daily journal entries of food, exercise, and weight, as a way of holding myself accountable, is well-proven in my own patterns. I've added a handy little spreadsheet with a link in the upper left corner.

2. My new living situation will be enormously beneficial to my efforts here as well as in most other aspects of my life, including my work.

3. Losing ground, as I did over the past three months, is extremely counter-productive to my ongoing lifelong efforts to be healthy. As I gained back some of the weight it became more taxing on my left foot and my right knee and hip to do even basic exercise.

It is good to be back. The grass is definitely greener, and it is certainly worth singing about.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcomeback!

Gen

Steve said...

Thanks, Gen! I imagine the Cape is filling up nicely today. Danny and his mom headed down yesterday.

Steve