Friday, July 18

Cheeseburgers in paradise

Nice summer day yesterday, and I had a long lunch and reunion with my old pal Linda in Norton, followed by dinner with my pal Rena in North Attleboro, followed by my usual Thursday night activity, a GA meeting in Plainville. If I'd been able to admit to having a girl for a best friend in the late 50s and early 60s, I would have claimed Linda, and thanks to an old alumni list we just reconnected after 40 years. Life is full of surprises, and often they are good ones.

Seems like all my great women friends these days are happily married. Maybe that is just a way that the cosmos has of protecting me from myself. (Or protecting them?) Anyway, it's all good. I am getting a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment out of life on my own terms these days.

Funny thing, I had cheeseburgers for both meals. I probably haven't done that in 20 years. So much for eating fruit and salads on hot summer days. They were very good. I had no regrets, even when I stepped on the scale this morning. I probably had a bit of a protein craving.

I might, in any case, try to work a little more protein into my daily diet. Healthy protein, if I can. Turkey, chicken, fish, and the occasional tofu burger.

There was a mildly interesting piece in the Times yesterday about a new study on long-term diet success. The take-away for me was that a healthy diet that is a little lighter on the carbs is a good thing, and -- no surprises here -- that the victories of the first few months of a personal campaign for better health are not final victories.

Going to hit the mid-90s here in Arlington today, so let's see what we can find for today's soundtrack.....





1 comments:

thoughtz said...

he summer, which is very yang, meat which is also yang makes us hot. Yang food is good winter food. Aslo, very yang food makes us crave yin food which is sweets. Too much yin food makes us crave yang food. That's why after a night of boozing, we want eggs and bacon!
Moderation in all things is the answer I guess.
To boost the body's metabolism, you can eat little bits of food every 2 hours or so to get the body into the abundance mode where fat is despensed of quickly, as opposed to the starvation mode which makes the body store fat to survive when we only eat sporadically and eat large amounts of food when we eat...
Sorry to ramble.
Donna