Saturday, December 8

Sustenance

I am having more and more fun.

I hope you enjoy the new "Pheromones" feature that will be in the upper right corner of the blog several times a week, filled with good stuff. If I am eating less, after all, I need other forms of sustenance!

Speaking of eating less, I am making a change in my regimen.

I have been finding that the 1750-calorie intake doesn't quite work for me on days when I work out. I tend to burn up anywhere from 300 to 1100 calories in a workout, so of course that might leave me a little hungrier.

So I am going to set the "net calorie intake" at 1600. If I burn 650 calories at the gym like I did yesterday, that will allow me to consumer 2250 calories and still be on the plan.

(I've kind of been doing this half the time anyway, I have noticed, so it is better to bend than to break, it says here.)

Related issue: someone asked for information on this whole idea that there is a certain number of calories that will maintain a person's current weight.

It's called the Basal Metabolic Rate. It varies based on age, height, weight, gender and exercise level.

When I started BMGS on August 31 my BMR assuming moderate exercise was 3516 calories. Now, 39 pounds later, it is 3149 calories. (This hardly seems fair, but it is offset by the fact that as the Big Man Gets Smaller he finds it much easier to exercise).

There are various formulas for the Basal Metabolic Rate, but there is a pretty good calculator tool for it here, and an informative article about it at Wikipedia.

0 comments: